This page contains Do-It-Yourself tools to help you save energy (and money) in your home including printable DIY guides, and helpful resources such as videos, diagrams, images, definitions of key words, and worksheets.
Go straight to our DIY guides HERE.
Step 3: Now that you better understand your home energy needs and you set priorities for your projects, use these DIYs, videos, and resources to improve your energy savings. Organized by topic and/or area of the home, each link below provides helpful resources to help you save energy.
Air Sealing and Insulation: (Please review before you begin your DIYs)
- What is Air Leakage?
- What is an Air Barrier?
- What are the Benefits of Air Sealing?
- Air Sealing Your Home – Identifying Trouble Spots (Energy.gov)
- Tips for Air Sealing – Energy.gov
- Prioritizing Air Sealing Projects: Explains where air sealing is most effective in the home and helps homeowners set priorities for air sealing projects.
DIYs: DIY Projects, Materials, Diagrams, Examples, Tips, and Instructional Videos (by category)
- Detecting Air Leaks: DIYs, Resources, videos, and helpful links
- Do-It-Yourself Guide to Sealing and Insulating with Energy Star – great comprehensive guide with DIY projects, definitions, diagrams, and more.
- In the Attic – DIYs
- Water Heater, Water Pipes, and Water Conservation Resources – DIYs
- Doors and Windows – DIYs
- Caulking and Weatherstripping – DIYs
- Recessed Can Lighting – DIYs
- Ductwork – DIYs
- Videos – General Air Sealing – DIYs
- Other DIY Projects
- Safety Information