Other DIY Projects
- Attic penetrations – types, how to find them, DIY projects to seal them
- Attic Access – How to build an air-tight attic hatch and this great fact sheet with useful diagrams.
- How to Seal an HVAC Duct with Mastic – Duct Sealant – For about $1 of Mastic and 10 minutes of effort, you can stop losing money from leaky ducts. Energy Star estimates most homeowners lose 20% of the money they spend to heat and cool their homes because of leaky ducts. The air disappears into the walls and attic spaces without reaching your living space. This is a cheap way to save money and make your rooms comfortable.
- Videos – How to Seal and Insulate Can Lights – demonstrates how to simply and quickly stop air leakages through can lights using covers specifically designed for this purpose. Also watch Recessed Lighting – Proper Sealing and Safety in The Attic. and How to Seal and Insulate Can Lights (at 3:00 see thermal imaging and at 3:45 you can learn about how some older can lights are not insulation contact rated. This means you can not have insulation come into contact with the can light. – solution explained at 4:20. Air Sealing Attics (at 1:10 – 1:40)
- Insulate hot water pipes – Materials list and step-by-step instructions.
- Lower water temperature setting – Materials list and step-by-step instructions.
Was the information on this page helpful?