Sealing & Insulation
Sealing and Insulation – Resources to help you set project priorities, detect and seal air leaks, choose appropriate products, and complete Do-It-Yourself projects.
Air Sealing and Insulation: (Please review before you begin your DIYs)
- What is Air Leakage?
- What is an Air Barrier?
- What are the Benefits of Air Sealing?
- Air Sealing Your Home – Identifying Trouble Spots (Energy.gov)
- Tips for Air Sealing – Energy.gov
- Prioritizing Air Sealing Projects: Explains where air sealing is most effective in the home and helps homeowners set priorities for air sealing projects.
DIYs: DIY Projects, Materials, Diagrams, Examples, Tips, and Instructional Videos
- Detecting Air Leaks: DIYs, Resources, videos, and helpful links
- Do-It-Yourself Guide to Sealing and Insulating with Energy Star – great comprehensive guide with DIY projects, definitions, diagrams, and more.
- In the Attic – DIYs
- Water Heater, Water Pipes, and Water Conservation Resources – DIYs
- Doors and Windows – DIYs
- Caulking and Weatherstripping – DIYs
- Recessed Can Lighting – DIYs
- Ductwork – DIYs
- Videos – General Air Sealing – DIYs
- Other DIY Projects
- Safety Information
Sealing and Insulating your home is one of the most cost-effective ways to make home more comfortable and energy efficient — and you can do it yourself. Use This Guide to:
- Learn how to find and seal hidden attic and basement air leaks
- Determine if your attic insulation is adequate, and learn how to add more
- Make sure your improvements are done safely
- Reduce energy bills and help protect the environment